Vietnam: one day at a time

Random photos taken in Vietnam

9.6.06

Hoa Quynh

I've spent quite a lot of my life in Vietnam over the past 15 years. I have hundreds of photos and I had the idea of posting one of them every day (or almost every day). Let's see how it goes.

The first one is a Quynh flower (hoa quynh). This one was given to me by a friend who grows them in his garden. They have a wonderful perfume and they only flower at night - the flowers never surviving for more than a few hours. This night we sat around the dining table and watched it opening, then he gave it to me to take home. Another very odd thing about this flower is that it grows directly out of the 'leaf' of the plant which, I guess, is a succulent of some sort. I'm no botanist.

5 Comments:

At 1:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a beautiful shot
great lighting
do you mind if i use it for a flyer i'm designing?

 
At 6:18 pm, Blogger NguyenKC said...

Good afternoon Madam,
I am from Vietnam, I happened view your blog and found that u r interested in Vietnam economy and its transition. I am now studying the MBA in Vietnam. I hope u can share your academic view as well as the papers u worked on Vietnam. I will contact with you then.
Thanks and best wishes!

Nguyen khac chien
www.nguyenkhc.blogspot.com

 
At 3:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this flower. I happened to be named after it, so I guess I'm special!

 
At 8:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this flower is so beautiful, mine finally bloom last night. We had the plant for a long time, and two weeks ago we noticed the "bulb" and got super excited. and then it finally bloom last night for us :) such a wonderful thing to watch. so magnificent! your photos are very pretty btw.

 
At 2:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie,

May I use your quynh flower photo for my facebook picture and something else. I like it a lot and because I'm named after it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home