Vietnam: one day at a time

Random photos taken in Vietnam

5.8.06

Bai Guia

There will be an official hiatus in this blog. I'm going on vacation until 25/8 and don't expect to be near the net much.

Bai Guia is a sandbank in the middle of the Red River. Now that the water level is controlled by the Da River dam, I'm not sure how much of it is flooded during the wet season. It seems to me to have been getting larger over time, but that could be my imagination, so perhaps it isn't flooded over so much any more. Anyway, for as long as I can recall, people have been growing stuff on it during the dry season. They come down river from provinces further up, like Phu Tho. But that's on higher ground - a few more metres above the dry-season water line. Here, we're on the beach at the northwestern tip, not far from the Thang Long bridge.

2 Comments:

At 3:33 pm, Blogger Thuy said...

I came on your blog by accident, searching for 'hoa quynh'. I have one and I think I have buds on them. Anyway, I love your pictures. I can't wait to visit Vietnam again. I will come back and read some more of you blog. Are you working over there? Living there?

 
At 12:08 pm, Blogger melanie said...

I'm not living there, but I visit at least once, sometimes twice a year for work. Thanks for the compliment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home